Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Nic-Nic

The last two days the weather has been warm to hot. I've been trying to make the most of it by turning the tv off and going outside with the crew. If I don't go, they don't go. They play on the jungle gym and do tricks that require 'tah-dah's and get into general sibling related scraps and mishaps. Hence my mediating skills are required even if I make them crawl on broken limbs to where I am sitting reading a book.

We ate outside to night picnic style because while we were playing outside tonight Zac suggested we eat on the grass. I was relieved to acquiesce to his brilliant suggestion as it meant three things. 1. We would enjoy the out doors a bit longer. 2. I could get away with making sandwiches for dinner. 3. I didn't have to tidy the table. Two days ago my kitchen table was spotlessly uncluttered. Two days later it is cluttered again. I'm sure it would take me less than 5 mins to fix it. The reason why I know this is it's just a table and this morning it took me (and the boys) 15 mins to restore order to the play room and that looked like Zackie said, "We had toy fireworks in here. Peuw! Fwaw!" I was dreading that job but once I turned the timer on I just got on and did it.

I find I tidy more efficiently with the timer. I set it for ten minutes at a time and I know that even if I set it again at the end, this too shall pass. I go back to work 5 days in a month and I feel like I have to step up and cultivate good habits while the pressure is off. If not I could seriously be at risk of a home management breakdown. Mick and my standards aren't too high - clean clothes (only ironed on Sunday, if I have too), clean dishes and full bellies. However happy I am with the relaxed attitude I have to home management it would seem that these standards are too low for some of my ex-neighbours.

When Mick and I got married I moved into his bachelor pad. It became the married couples nest, unfortunately it also became the nest of a large domestic rat. He came to live in our front bushes and didn't bother us so we didn't bother him. However a nosey neighbour in the unit complex had taken note of the washing pile and discarded pizza boxes on the table upon a singular visit to my front door and added that judgement to the horror of a white rat moving boldly around our driveway and courtyard. She obviously took exception to my standards and one day when she thought we were not home she brought a "friend" into our courtyard and bestowed upon said friend her judgment of me. Unbeknowst to her I was sick and had not gone out with Mick as I usually would on a Sunday morning. So I was sitting in my loungeroom not 2 meters away. When I heard the talking I stood at the closed front door to hear her opinions. I became increasingly upset and felt unable to bring my prescense to her attention. So I called in the cavalry. By the time Mick got home our neighbour was in her yard. I just wanted Mick to pick me up so we could go to a mates house. Instead when I got in the car he got out. He had obviiusly put on his shining armour that morning because he fought the beast for me. He told her if she had anything to say about his wife she had better come to him or shut up. Aww. Not long after that Ratty left. But not before I learnt that my love would face all manner of foul beast for his love.

But I digress. Tonight we had a lovely Autumn picnic with fairy bread, hot chips and M&M's. I love my life. I love the country that I live in and I am grateful to Heavenly Father for the peace freedom and safety I feel here. I pray that others here and in foreign lands may feel this too.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

You always know that when the chips are down Mick will always back you up 110%.

After being at your house on Sunday the boys - particulary Callum - is talking about lego. I bought them some pieces that make a car. Callum wants more but Rowan still prefers his trains. xx

andy smylie said...

Who say chivalry is dead?

Just trying to see Mick fit into that shining armour :) :)

Sarie said...

Love it. It's the hodge-podge evenings with less than perfect food and a disheveled house when we feel the most peaceful and grateful. It comes in such a fast moment, hardly able to be predicted or expected. Like a spiritual confirmation. And let's not let the pressure of anyone else's opinions effect our laziness. Let's let that part flourish. We are living in 2008 and all the freedom it provides to women!!