Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gus had a birthday


Gus is pretty cool. He was born with all the patience God was going to give him and he used it all up in the first thee years of being here. I have to admit that I helped to run his resources low. Like when he would wake up from a sleep 4 hours after his last feed and wimper as if to say 'I'm here, please don't forget to nourish me.' I would be busy dealing with Zac's latest drama and would say to Gus 'Just a minute.' A minute would turn into and hour and I would hear Gus wimper again as if to say 'No really, don't worry about me. I'll wait here until you have time to feed me.' I would feel so bad when I realised that it had been 5 hours since his last feed that I would nuzzle him and let him suckle til he was full to the brim. I would sit with him a devote my whole being to him and completely ignore the little 2 year old using my shoulders and head as a climbing gym. So now he is five he is quick to anger, yet as equally quick he will turn to show me affection.
For example I'll stub my toe in the kitchen and cry out in pain. Gus will leave his 'time-out' spot and walk into the kitchen having heard my cry and ask me "Do you want a kiss Mum?" How can I refuse him.
He's funny too. He was telling knock knock jokes at three and at five he still loves a good joke telling session. He'll hide something before I walk into a room and as he looks at he his eyes will dart to the hidden item. He can't help it. He gives it away everytime. But he laughs and thinks it's all great fun.
I hope he remains as loving and tender as he is today and I hope he gets a refill on the patience soon.

5 comments:

Kris said...

Great cake!

When Gus finds that patience I'm pretty sure there are heaps of people who will want to know where to go to get it!

Kristie said...

Love you Gus. The kids had a great time at the party and no-one mentioned Cake Boss....wink, wink!!

Dee said...

The bum reneged.
He wouldn't give me my $20.
Bum!

Anonymous said...

Ah the joys ... its interesting having no kids and then skipping to having a 6 year old straight away! love ya
Elle

Ash said...

Happy Birthday Gus!!! I still remember watching him army crawl in the church foyer. Such a cute little boy and still is!

Love the cake!!!