Thursday, July 24, 2008

Me thinks she doth protest too much.

Maybe I do still cook a little bit.


Nana used to make awesome soups. On alternate Sundays we would go and spend the afternoon or evening at Nana and Papa's house. She would cook a sufficient meal with ingredients from her garden, cucumber or dill. I remember most fondly her milky cabbage soup and borscht. During the course of our stay we would try not to get in Butch's way. He was a Pomeranian who guarded Papa well. My favourite days were ones when Nana would let me play with her jewellery box. She had some great clip on earings that dangled just right with necklaces to match. There were some items that were off limits and every now and then Nana would sit down and show me her pieces of amber. They were so facinating so warm and unique. I remember her saying that one day she wanted her grandaughters to have them.
While I was at the Central Market with Mum on Saturday I got a little nostalgic and thought that I would do a bit of cooking in the next week. I bought the things that I thought should go into borscht (beetroot soup). Last night when I brought out the recipe I found that I had not gathered together some ingredients that were in the recipe. So I improvised. I used potato instead of cabbage, tinned tomatoes instead of fresh and parsley instead of dill. I also didn't go with the measurements of the recipe. I used the 'little bit of this' method and I think it turned out just like Nana used to make. Very good.

7 comments:

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hidee

Kristie said...

Hey your blog looks great. Love the design you picked. Nana's soups were always great. Cabbage and Beetroot soup were always yummy. I haven't tried to making them before..glad they worked for you. See you tonight.

Anonymous said...

your nana was a great cook - i spent many a sleepover with ingrid so i got to enjoy her cooking often.

yeah...and i remember butch...he was mean as the day was long! they had other little pomeranian too...what were they're names again? i remember them being alot nicer...or at least less snappy!

happy cooking - we had toasted pastrami and hot pepper cheese with sourdough bread - not nearly as much work as borscht...so this round goes to you!

Anonymous said...

oops!!

obviously spelling is not my forte this evening either...just pretend that i spelled "they're" with the correct letters...t.h.e.i.r.

oh...and that i put an 's to indicate plural pomerania.

Corrie- said...

That soup sounds so heavenly! I love reading your memories of Nana & Papa, I'm so glad you're posting some. Your blog is too cute!

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hidee

Kate said...

great to hear you're doing some more cooking - I love it when i make the effort