Friday, July 18, 2008

I don't cook any more.

About four and a half years ago I stopped cooking. I was well on my way to cooking like my Mum and Nana. You know the type, the guest asks "How did you make the pastry for the tart? It was so sweet and moist." The cook responds "Well...The recipe says... But I just did..." The guest asks "Can I have the recipe for your rissotto?" The cooks answer is "Well...I make it a bit different everytime. I don't really have a recipe."

Four years later the only thing I cook from scratch without using a recipe is pancakes. Put some self raising flour in a bowl with some sugar. Add one or two eggs, depending on how much flour you put in. You can put some vanilla essence in if you want. Then pour in milk until it is just right. Pour the batter into the hot pan. Sometimes I add a couple of grated, peeled granny smith apples and cinnamon. Sometimes I add drinking chocolate or milo to the flour. Sometimes we just have plain with lemon and sugar on top. And sometimes I make these for dinner. To cook them it is best to heat vegetable oil in a pan so you can shallow fry the pancakes and this gives then a lovely crisp edge. But it is also okay to cook them in a non stick pan for the fat conscious family members.

But I digress. For the first four years of our marriage I made many awesome home cooked meals that were enough to feed many more people than ate at our table each night. I would come home from work excited about what I had planned for dinner that night. I shoulder part of the responsibility for Mick's weight gain in the early years of our marriage as I indulged him with my enjoyment in the ktchen.

When I was dating him his idea of a balanced meal was two minute noodles with frozen vegetable. Then we came together and I cooked stuffed capsicum and chilli chicken with marinade I had made from scratch. I made muffins with apples I had stewed and decorated cakes with chocolate swirls I had made the day before. I enjoyed cooking. I think I still do. I just don't make time anymore nor do I have enough brain power to plan a meal more than an hour in advance. So now I make beef strog from a jar, just add beef, mushrooms and sour cream. I make cakes with Betty Croker. And when I say, "Boys lets cook today," we make jelly.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Dee it all comes down to time. When your working and raising a family it's hard to find the drive/time to prepare that amazing 3 course meal. It's generally 1 course and a chocolate biscuit. Don't worry as they say "there is a time and place for everything." It's just not the time right now. xx

p.s. There is always Betty Crocker in my cupboard

Dinah said...

I do love the crockpot, the only trouble is that you have to think the morning or night before what to get out to put in the crock and if your plate is already full of lists to do, then thinking about a meal 8-10 hours away is just not feasable. But that is what Sunday or Saturday "special dinners" are all about, everybody pitching in and cooking a really special meal. Or on the other hand....just making jello - jelly? depends once again which side of the ocean is reading this. I love you Dee and your sweet hubby and babies....your blog always makes me smile....love, dinah

Anonymous said...

i LOVE food but i'm not really into the cooking part. one christmas in an effort to motivate myself i bought a really nice set of pots...i started out really well...but by the end of january maddie was disgusted enough with my lack of follow thru to cry..."i thought you were going to be the cooking mother this year!!!"

maybe if i had a bigger kitchen...or a rice cooker...

love you all.