Friday, May 30, 2008

Footy

It's unaustralian to not support a football team. AFL, NRL, Super 14 Union or A-Leauge, pick a code or one team from each. In AFL I go for Port Adelaide's Port Power. In NRL I go for Penrith Panthers. In Union I support NSW Warratahs. If I followed A-league I'd barrack for Adelaide United. I don't go to the games. I don't watch the games unless Mick is watching. I don't know how well any of the teams are going. But if anyone asks "Who do you go for?" I can answer with any of the above, and then I won't be found to be lacking in Australian spirit. I would hate to be called unaustralian.
Some people say we should have tests to decide who gets citizenship I don't think you can test for apathy. That's all you really need to be Australian, apathy. You don't have to be apathetic about everything, just one or two things. Some people like to call it 'laid back' others 'easy going'. I'll let you in on a little secret mostly we just don't care. We live so far apart from each other let alone the rest of the world that we have cultivated a 'she'll be right mate' attitude because as experience has shown us things will be alright.
And even if your team looses the grand final by a record margin there is always next year.

4 comments:

Dinah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dinah said...

This is so true Dee. I find Americans are an anxious buch of people who have to be "getting" to work, to shop, to whereever and sometimes I really miss the "thats okay luv" "she'll be right" "never mind" "just you wait a little while" attitude. Rage is a commodity that a lot of people in the states have in abundance and the "lets sue" attitude is very prevalent. AND friendly...Aussies would never pass you while watering your garden or out walking without smiling and saying hello. Not here. If I do my kids say "do you know that person mum?" and the person looks at me all funny as if I am nuts. But I have taught my neighbors that is the way to be and they all take my lead and wave or say "hello neighbor" in the bank or or shops even if they do not know my name. So that old Aussie spirit of friendly and laid back is a great thing to treasure.......Love to read your blogs.....Love A/di

Kris said...

Yes, I've got apathy. (Sounds like a disease when you say it like that.) So much so that I don't even have a footy team. I know, strange, huh? I was beginning to feel very unaustralian until you mentioned apathy. Now I feel like I fit right in!

Anonymous said...

Great post - love the apathy. Here in NZ there is only 1 sport - RUGBY (union) & only 1 team - the All Blacks, everything else is secondary...oh & the country collapses when the ABs lose hahahaha...me, I have apathy for sport LOL Oh & I'd rather be in Aussie (on the winning side ;o)