Sunday, August 17, 2008

"I'm tired, so freakin tired"

Just over a month ago I was awake 'til all hours of the morning as I tried to watch as much of Le Tour De France as possible. I was on school holidays for the first two weeks of the three week event. Of the 21 nights I believe I saw 4 or 5 finishes, at least two of which I was woken from slumber by Poppy just in time to catch the last 5 k's. Some nights I would remember to watch the highlights while I was making dinner but for the most part I missed the end of many more stages than I caught. And for all of my trouble I was still woken at about 6am by The Boys.

Ten days ago my sleeping problems returned with a vengence. The Olympic Games began auspiciously. I took the kids up to Kristies house, where we watched the opening ceremony and ate Chinese food together. At 11pm when all the dancing was done and athletes were entering the stadium I thought it was time to make the 45 minute drive home with my sleeping babies. About 25 mins into the trip I knew we would not make it home safely I tried to get there in one continuous run. I would blink my eyes and they had become sluggish and disgruntled. They did not want to stay open. My only option was to pull over and join my children in the land of nod. I turned off the main road and parked between a church and a school. I double checked the locks on the doors, reclined my chair and slept for 40mins. I awoke when Poppy stirred as she would soon need a feed and I had no bottle to give her I started the car once more and drove home safely. Since that night I have been home to watch all of my evening Olympic events so that I can sleep within the peacful confines of my own bed when I get too tired.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

Dee, you should have just stayed the night. It was a fun evening, I ate too much and the kids were good. What are we going to watch when the Olympics are over at the end of the week?

Anonymous said...

i find that i stay up way to late watching tv even without the justification of the olympics.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hidee

Rachel Brown said...

That is so scary! It seems so unreasonable that as a mother we need the most energy and rest of our whole life and we seem to get the least. Glad you all made it home safe.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

HIDEE