Friday, June 13, 2008

poo

No this isn't an anecdote about last night at Mum's place where Gus stood up and a brown pellety poo was shaken loose from the bottom of his trackies. I looked at him as he looked at me and with a concerned look on his face he said, "Me not tell you Mum."

Instead it is a little story about how tonight I came home from work with a treat for the boys. I gave Gus and Zac a chocolate chip chocolate scone. Gus took his scone, looked at it and said "It's not poo Mum. It's cake." Zac agreed with Gus. "It looks like poo Gus, but it's cake."


Lovely.


This is on top of Gus objecting to the stir fry I had made a couple nights ago. I called the boys to come and eat dinner. Gus began to climb his chair. As he was arriving at the top I placed his plate on the table. Gus looked into the bowl before he settled into the chair. He stopped. He began to descend the chair. He said to me. "That's poo Mum. Me no eat it." I was so shocked, I had no time to compose myself. I snickered and looked at his retreating form incredulously. I promise you I offered him no other food that night. He went to bed hungry but he did not complain. Obviously that was preferable to him than being forced to eat my cooking.


I have to admit that Gus' insults are so funny that whenever he comes up with another good one I have to tell every one.


Like on Saturday while the boys were with Ingrid at Monarto Zoo the safari bus driver stopped a little too long at a gate. Gus says (loud enough for the bus driver and passengers to hear) "Hurry up!" then with perfect timing follows it up with "Me just joking." Apparently those' who weren't laughing after the initial remark were definitely amused by the punch line.


Classic.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

That gus is a classic. I find it really had to take when the kids reject my cooking/gestures of kindness - I feel they are rejecting me:(

Corrie- said...

What a witty son you have, and you take it with such ease! What a fun mom you are!

Anonymous said...

so glad to see that you're wise enough to appreciate the humor offered up by your kids so early on. smart girl. i try an gauge my reaction to some of the stuff my kids do by the story it will make later. being able to laugh about things sooner than later is a pretty good lesson in not sweating the small stuff.

that gus sounds so cute - i love it!

Rachel Brown said...

my Bella just says "i'm done" without taking a bite, even though she was the one moaning about her hunger about a half hour before. It's a shocker but they survive a few skipped meals. i remember Lizzy asking me why i cooked the garbage one night. That's the family joke now when the kids eat little of my lovingly prepared meals.

Sarie said...

WISH I was close enough to meet him in person. Love your stories, Dee.